- Installation view, left to right: A–ZYM, Reading Room, books from Newberry archives
Closed/Open, a 2006 site-specific exhibition at Chicago’s Newberry Library, began with two bodies of my work inspired by collections of knowledge—a 1910 Britannica encyclopedia and a Webster’s dictionary from the same era. Six mixed media installations of my art were complemented by objects from the library’s archives, which were chosen in partnership with staff librarians.
In Closed/Open, the relationships between my art and Newberry objects were literal, as well as impressionistic and metaphoric. My overarching vision for the show was to create dynamic relationships between past and present, text and image, academe and art, meaning and imagination, and to illuminate ways in which books inspire and shape my art.
- A–ZYM, 27 mixed media collages, table
- SHU–SUB Sound, mixed media on paper
- PAY–POL Physics, mixed media on paper
- Reading Room, mixed media in constructed books, table, and stools
- poetry (from Reading Room), mixed media in book
- philosophy (from Reading Room), light box in book
- Aa–Zz, mixed media on paper on sculptural walls
- G: glove, mixed media on paper
- K knit/knot, watercolor and graphite on paper
- Sentinels, light boxes, sound, table
- Sentinels, detail
- L’Odor del Bosc, mixed media in book, reading table, sound
- Tongues, sound installation, entrance vestibule of library